Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) C30-C39: A new look at the King's Gambit (Read 59000 times)
MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Re: A new look at the King's Gambit
Reply #65 - 08/12/06 at 20:22:20
Post Tools
TopNotch wrote on 08/12/06 at 02:28:22:
Unlike the Kings Gambit, 6.Bg5 against the Najdorf is not dodgy it is simply sharp and the Poisoned Pawn is up to white to offer, he has the flexibility within the Bg5 line to play it safe with lets say a3 or an immediate Nb3, granted these options maybe not theoretically the most challenging but White has little to fear.....there is no such safety net for White in the Kings Gambit, if you fall you break your neck or more precisely have it broken for you. Regarding the Poison Pawn accepted Nb3 rather than Rb1 still seems challenging and scores quite well for White. One last point is that the poisoned pawn is not the wisest choice for a strong player facing a lower rated, as there are many forced draws so Bg5 is quite a useful weapon for many levels of player and circumstances.

So are we to conclude by the above statement, that 2.f4 is more suitable at lower levels than 2.Nf3. Hmmmm....the jury is still out on that one methinks.  Undecided

Regarding the first line I am not sure as I don't play that variation, but according to Dearing's recent work Black is ok which wouldn't surprise me as experts on the white side are still unsure as to which move order is optimum for them for e.g some think it better to delay h4 while others play it very early, you can swat the Dragon threads for more details. 9.0-0-0 is the relatively safe option for White, many choose this to avoid the more complex problems arising in the 9.Bc4 lines, but 9.0-0-0 does not in the least threaten the existence of the Dragon, if it did 7.Bc4 would not still be the critical line, but I would rather not digress too much on Dragon matters in a Kings Gambit thread. Suffice it to say that unlike the Kings Gambit Federov still plays the Dragon and with success.  Tongue

Many words, which do not explain why 6.Bg5 e6 7.f4 Qb6 scores a meagre 45% last 1½ year at ELO 2500+ level, Black loses almost half of the games against 9.0-0-0 in the Dragon and only draws the rest and we have not see a single 12.h4 h5 game.
But that's not my point. My point is, that when we apply TN's arguments on some other very respectable openings, these have to be placed in the museum as well. And he has by no means contradicted this.

So are we to conclude by the above statement, that 2.f4 is more suitable at lower levels than 2.Nf3. Hmmmm....the jury is still out on that one me thinks.

This is bad logic. a --> b does not mean -a --> -b as every American high school student should know. I have never written something like this quote, have never discouraged anyone to play 2.Nf3 instead of 2.f4 on my level etc.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

blueguitar322

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #64 - 08/12/06 at 05:57:12
Post Tools
Quote: "I would not wish to leave the reader with the idea that Thomas Johansson's book is unsatisfactory in any way. It is not. Anybody who wishes to play the King's Gambit should buy it and they will be amply rewarded. Unfortunately, the Kings Bishop Gambit is not a very good opening and will not survive in the era of computer generated analysis. The Fascinating Kings Gambit. A Repertoire for the 21st Century is to the Kings Gambit what the escape from elba was to the fortunes of Napoleon - a bold and ingenious endeavour in a cause going steadily downhill. Johansson's book will certainly give the Kings Gambit a shot in the arm, but its long term decline continues. Bronstein is quoted on the cover of the book as saying, "You want play the kings Gambit? Well, Black can draw after 3.Nf3. Play 3.Bc4 if you want to win!" End Quote....But be careful you don't lose - Stephen Berry.

Quite the quote. It should be noted that Berry was a former KG player who has since given up on it, and it's psychology 101 that if one has to give up something they prized, they will (subconsciously or not) try to push others away from it as well (jealousy and all that).

It's just like the sorry guys you meet who have struck out with beautiful women so many times that they preach to all their friends "they're not worth it, nothing but trouble, i've heard they're terrible in bed", etc etc etc. Or the "she's not really pretty at all when the makeup comes off..." They have realized (whether truthfully or not) that their chances are slim to none...so if they cannot have the prized toy, no one can. You'd know something about being that guy, wouldn't you Toppy?  Tongue  Grin

The moral? I've not seen the analysis, but such a quote (by itself) from a bitter ex-KG'er doesn't really hold much sway over my opinion.

The above maybe so, but the problem is that the Kings Gambit is not as flexible and rich in ideas as the so called "Big Openings" which can be interpreted in many different tactical and strategic ways, this is the reason why the Big Openings have stood the test of time and the Kings Gambit and such go in and out like the tide.

One of the things about the KG is that it's foundation is solidly positional. White gives up a pawn to gain a development lead, initiative, and a freer hand in the center. If he is able to regain the pawn, his structure is often better than Black's in an otherwise neutral endgame. These principles cannot be really refuted, just like the Marshall Attack in the Spanish can't be.

And I can't agree at all that the KG is lacking in tactical and strategic richness - at least not "per capita" or "per variation." I agree that the Spanish is truly a fertile ground among openings, but if you compare the KG to just about everything else (Sicilian is really like 12 seperate openings under the same name) there's no lack at all. The number of different pawn structures the KG produces is quite high (compare to something like the Caro or Slav); there's no definate "best spots" for development as there are, say, the Spanish; about the only "static" feature of the KG is that there are no stagnant positions! Certainly no Exchange Slavs possible here. And even the wildest, sharpest variations are thematic and aesthetic - not chaotic and haphazard like the Najdorf PP.

Oh - and about the Gallagher & 15 years thing...he was quite successful with the KG for many many years. Even after he wrote his book. He's never played 3 Bc4, either...and it's quite understandable that instead of switching from 3 Nf3 five years ago, he decided to diversify. At the highest level, macro-diversity (several completely different openings) is much preferred to micro-diversity (several variations).

I wonder if the effect of comradery doesn't play into it either. Chess is a relatively tight-knit community...with the harsh realities of modern chess tourney prep, it's gotta be tough being the only one studying a particular opening - any opening. There's a certain synergy that's bound to happen when two or three diehard Najdorf players get together to prepare and bounce ideas off each other. Entire variations (Arkhangelsk, to name just one) have been born out of such group preperation. Peer pressure is a phenominal force, at any level.

But seriously though I don't think that the lack of popularity of the Kings Gambit at a high level has anything to do with "The number of minds on it", plenty of minds have worked on it and simply found it unsastisfactory as a consistent and reliable tournament weapon. Many strong players after home study have dismissed it out of hand as too risky while other more adventurous souls spring it as a surprise now and again when they think the opponent has prepared for something else.

I'm not knocking the Dragon at all...I quite like the Dragon (as either side) and for a long time couldn't decide between it and the Najdorf...but I've heard the exact same thing said about the Dragon far more than the KG. The difference seems to be that because the Dragon is part of the huge body of Sicilian theory (instead of an "archaic" open game sideline) it attracts more attention. The difference is that almost everyone will have to play White vs. the dragon and study it...while only 1...e5 players will have to play the KG as Black. But I bet the ratio of those who actually play it to those who "after home study have dismissed it out of hand as too risky" is roughly equal to the KG.

In conclusion...if the KG is indeed riding out on 3 Bc4 as a last hurrah, then I will blindly follow with full expecations of victory and beautiful women. And, if it ever finally dies, I will smile knowing that GM-level theory really won't have much effect on my level anyways.  Cheesy

But until that day, I look back on chess history and the huge number of "unsound" openings that are tossed wholesale into the garbage by arrogant theory experts (there's always a reason, too...in the mid 20th century, it was 'modern defensive technique'; in the 21st, it's 'computer generated analysis') and I just don't buy that the relative scarcity of KG at the highest levels is anything but whim and fashion (and, quite possibly, utter lack of balls.)

Dave Grin

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Reply #63 - 08/12/06 at 02:28:22
Post Tools
"Since you aren't looking for a defense against the King's Gambit (a diehard Dragon player, by all indications), I have to wonder why you are interested in reading these books ...  

You're not -   - a closet King's Gambit player, are you Top - lunging that f-pawn forward when nobody's watching?  

Say it ain't so! - OstapBender"

I also play 1...e5 but not very often as defending Ruy Lopez positions don't appeal to me that much. However if I was sure that my opponent would play The Kings Gambit or Belgrade Gambit or just about anything else I would certainly venture 1...e5 a lot more. Wink

To blueguitar: Just because it took Gallagher 15 years to realise his mistake does not mean that you should Grin But seriously though I don't think that the lack of popularity of the Kings Gambit at a high level has anything to do with "The number of minds on it", plenty of minds have worked on it and simply found it unsastisfactory as a consistent and reliable tournament weapon. Many strong players after home study have dismissed it out of hand as too risky while other more adventurous souls spring it as a surprise now and again when they think the opponent has prepared for something else.

"Theory for the big openings (Spanish, Sicilian, etc) is littered with the corpses of once-popular, now-defunct ideas. It is the same and will continue to be the same with every opening, including the KG" - blueguitar

The above maybe so, but the problem is that the Kings Gambit is not as flexible and rich in ideas as the so called "Big Openings" which can be interpreted in many different tactical and strategic ways, this is the reason why the Big Openings have stood the test of time and the Kings Gambit and such go in and out like the tide. I do appreciate your passion for your opening though and you need not let my opinion disuade your enthusiasm.  

"Good thinking. If we follow TN's argument, 6.Bg5 against the Najdorf is also dodgy, due to the Poisoned Pawn. Since 2005 there have been 25 games with this opening with both players having ELO 2500+. White scores 46%. And how many games have been played lately with the sequence 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.Nc3 g6 6.f3 Bg7 7.Be3 0-0 8.Qd2 Nc6 9.Bc4 Bd7 10.o-o-o Rc8 11.Bb3 Ne5 12.h4 h5 on that level? Also good for the museum? Or worse (for Black), the 9.o-o-o variation? If TN is consequent, he starts playing 1...e5 tomorrow. I hope for him he won't".- MNB

Unlike the Kings Gambit, 6.Bg5 against the Najdorf is not dodgy it is simply sharp and the Poisoned Pawn is up to white to offer, he has the flexibility within the Bg5 line to play it safe with lets say a3 or an immediate Nb3, granted these options maybe not theoretically the most challenging but White has little to fear.....there is no such safety net for White in the Kings Gambit, if you fall you break your neck or more precisely have it broken for you. Regarding the Poison Pawn accepted Nb3 rather than Rb1 still seems challenging and scores quite well for White. One last point is that the poisoned pawn is not the wisest choice for a strong player facing a lower rated, as there are many forced draws so Bg5 is quite a useful weapon for many levels of player and circumstances.

"TN has proven one thing. 2.Nf3 is more suitable on top level than other 2nd moves. That is old news, isn't it? We know that already about 100 years or so. - MNB"  

So are we to conclude by the above statement, that 2.f4 is more suitable at lower levels than 2.Nf3. Hmmmm....the jury is still out on that one methinks.  Undecided

"And how many games have been played lately with the sequence 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.Nc3 g6 6.f3 Bg7 7.Be3 0-0 8.Qd2 Nc6 9.Bc4 Bd7 10.o-o-o Rc8 11.Bb3 Ne5 12.h4 h5 on that level? Also good for the museum? Or worse (for Black), the 9.o-o-o variation?" - MNB

Regarding the first line I am not sure as I don't play that variation, but according to Dearing's recent work Black is ok which wouldn't surprise me as experts on the white side are still unsure as to which move order is optimum for them for e.g some think it better to delay h4 while others play it very early, you can swat the Dragon threads for more details. 9.0-0-0 is the relatively safe option for White, many choose this to avoid the more complex problems arising in the 9.Bc4 lines, but 9.0-0-0 does not in the least threaten the existence of the Dragon, if it did 7.Bc4 would not still be the critical line, but I would rather not digress too much on Dragon matters in a Kings Gambit thread. Suffice it to say that unlike the Kings Gambit Federov still plays the Dragon and with success.  Tongue

I see it often said that 3.Nf3 has lost favor because Black can force a draw, I would have thought that matters were even more dire than that. Now the Bishops Gambit is touted as the way to go a la TJ, but  there was an interesting five and a half page review of TJ's FKG book by Stephen Berry, himself  a former Kings Gambiteer in the July 2006 issue of 'Chess' a UK based magazine . The review concludes after presenting corroborative analysis.

Quote: "I would not wish to leave the reader with the idea that Thomas Johansson's book is unsatisfactory in any way. It is not. Anybody who wishes to play the King's Gambit should buy it and they will be amply rewarded. Unfortunately, the Kings Bishop Gambit is not a very good opening and will not survive in the era of computer generated analysis. The Fascinating Kings Gambit. A Repertoire for the 21st Century is to the Kings Gambit what the escape from elba was to the fortunes of Napoleon - a bold and ingenious endeavour in a cause going steadily downhill. Johansson's book will certainly give the Kings Gambit a shot in the arm, but its long term decline continues. Bronstein is quoted on the cover of the book as saying, "You want play the kings Gambit? Well, Black can draw after 3.Nf3. Play 3.Bc4 if you want to win!" End Quote....But be careful you don't lose - Stephen Berry.

Well that was a mouthful, and on that no doubt controversial note I will call it a night.

Till next time, Keep hope alive.

Topalot Smiley

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

blueguitar322

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #62 - 08/11/06 at 21:55:51
Post Tools
OstapBender wrote on 08/11/06 at 21:08:30:
Is the Dragon really that rare at the GM level (as rare as the King's Gambit)?  Certainly other Sicilians (the Najdorf and Sveshnikov, for example) are more popular, but my impression was that the Dragon was still quite a bit more common that the King's Gambit (perhaps both are rare at the super-GM level, but even here the Dragon makes an ocassional appearance; wasn't it in Khalifman's repertoire at one time; maybe even Topalov's?).  Is this not true?

I'm not sure about the last 5 years, but it did say something for Kasparov to use the Dragon in the 95 World Championship. It gives the opening a certain level of credibility despite the ups and downs. Then again, Short, Ivanchuk, Adams, Morozevich, etc. have all given the KG a few tries in the last 10 years. And many of those games have been 3 Bc4.

IP Logged

OstapBender
God Member

There is no spoon.

Reply #61 - 08/11/06 at 21:08:30
Post Tools
MNb wrote on 08/11/06 at 20:41:02:
And how many games have been played lately with the sequence 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.Nc3 g6 6.f3 Bg7 7.Be3 0-0 8.Qd2 Nc6 9.Bc4 Bd7 10.o-o-o Rc8 11.Bb3 Ne5 12.h4 h5 on that level? Also good for the museum? Or worse (for Black), the 9.o-o-o variation? If TN is consequent, he starts playing 1...e5 tomorrow. I hope for him he won't.

Is the Dragon really that rare at the GM level (as rare as the King's Gambit)?  Certainly other Sicilians (the Najdorf and Sveshnikov, for example) are more popular, but my impression was that the Dragon was still quite a bit more common that the King's Gambit (perhaps both are rare at the super-GM level, but even here the Dragon makes an ocassional appearance; wasn't it in Khalifman's repertoire at one time; maybe even Topalov's?).  Is this not true?

I haven't done anything remotely approximating a statistical analysis, so maybe my impression is incorrect.

I do agree, however, with the main point of not being overly hasty to abandon a particular opening just because it is no longer considered top notch (forgive the pun) at the highest levels.  There's lots of room for new ideas and creative play in the "less reputable" openings when played somewhere below these upper echelons.  And when you get all the way down to club/weekend tounament level (Hi there!  Smiley) - just about anything you know well enough (I'll let others argue about where the "soundness" line should be drawn) can be a dangerous weapon.

"If God had wanted us to vote, he would have given us candidates."  -Jay Leno

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #60 - 08/11/06 at 20:41:02
Post Tools
Good thinking. If we follow TN's argument, 6.Bg5 against the Najdorf is also dodgy, due to the Poisoned Pawn. Since 2005 there have been 25 games with this opening with both players having ELO 2500+. White scores 46%.
And how many games have been played lately with the sequence 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.Nc3 g6 6.f3 Bg7 7.Be3 0-0 8.Qd2 Nc6 9.Bc4 Bd7 10.o-o-o Rc8 11.Bb3 Ne5 12.h4 h5 on that level? Also good for the museum? Or worse (for Black), the 9.o-o-o variation? If TN is consequent, he starts playing 1...e5 tomorrow. I hope for him he won't.
TN has proven one thing. 2.Nf3 is more suitable on top level than other 2nd moves. That is old news, isn't it? We know that already about 100 years or so.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

blueguitar322

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #59 - 08/11/06 at 14:24:05
Post Tools
Gallagher used the KG at the highest level for 15 years - including almost ten after he gave away all his preperation in a best-selling book. If an opening is really as unsound as TopNotch claims, wouldn't it take the grandmaster collective slightly shorter than that to "refute" it?

There is a definate reality that the KG does not appear to be on the same level of the Ruy, Sicilian, QG, Indians, etc. with regards to staying power. The difference, though, doesn't seem to be sound vs. unsound, but rather the body of theory in the above is sooo overwhelmingly large that when certain lines are refuted, there's fertile ground in other variations. Just because Kasparov killed Anand after 14 Bc2!/15 Nb3! in the Open Spanish in 1995 didn't mean that the Open Defense died...there were just plenty of alternatives to turn to. Similarly, though on a smaller scale, 3 Nf3 currently gives Black a forced draw...thus KG turns its lonely eyes to 3 Bc4 (with a big boost by TJ).

If you play any one variation for a long amount of time, there will be ups and downs, I don't care what the opening is. 6 Be3 Ng4 in the Najdorf started out brilliantly for Black, but by the late 90s, Gallagher/Nunn wrote in "The Complete Najdorf" that White currently had an edge. Now Palliser's Starting Out book gives the edge back to Black. The KG doesn't have the same number of minds (or the same talent level) burning the midnight oil, so the trends are usually much more spread out.

Theory for the big openings (Spanish, Sicilian, etc) is littered with the corpses of once-popular, now-defunct ideas. It is the same and will continue to be the same with every opening, including the KG. But despite TopNotch's top notch contributions in other areas of the forum, he seems to go completely bonkers when talking about the KG. I guess that's his prerogotive...but it seems like a lot of energy put into something that he seemingly won't ever play - from either side - in a serious chess game.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #58 - 08/11/06 at 13:11:20
Post Tools
Excellent post by OstapBender, as always.

GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #57 - 08/11/06 at 09:03:33
Post Tools
Excellent post by TopNotch, as always.

Don't check me with no lightweight stuff.

IP Logged

OstapBender
God Member

There is no spoon.

Reply #56 - 08/11/06 at 04:46:05
Post Tools
TopNotch wrote on 08/10/06 at 23:07:08:
I have read both the Gallagher and McDonald works and both have their strengths and weaknesses. Gallagher's offered his personal repertoire and unique insights making this an impressive creative effort. McDonald's was more of a survey,

Since you aren't looking for a defense against the King's Gambit (a diehard Dragon player, by all indications), I have to wonder why you are interested in reading these books ... Undecided

You're not -  Shocked - a closet King's Gambit player, are you Top - lunging that f-pawn forward when nobody's watching?  Roll Eyes

Say it ain't so!  Cry

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Reply #55 - 08/10/06 at 23:07:08
Post Tools
From White's perspective all books written on the Kings Gambit were, are and will always be unsatisfactory. Its not McDonald's, Gallagher's, Korchnoi's, ECO's , NCO's, MCO's or any other sources fault, the main problem is that the Kings Gambit is theoretically suspect and perhaps more importantly it is suffering in current praxis as well.....and so it should.  Tongue

Nothing is more detrimental to a dodgy opening than too much exposure at a high level, where you can bet your bottom dollar that inherent flaws will sooner or later be ruthlessly exploited as both Gallagher and later Federov found out. Once exposed at a high level the info filters down to the rank and file and all those Kings Gambit books that seemed so deadly when bought get relegated to museum pieces or literary curiosities never to be opened again.  Cry

Is then the Kings Gambit viable for white?...Sure it is, but only when used cunningly against targeted opponents once in awhile as Spassky did. Yes I know I sound like a broken record, but thats just the way it is with certain openings.

You can also play the Kings Gambit for 'fun' (a popular term here), however be warned that fun can often sour quickly when faced by an informed adversary.

I have read both the Gallagher and McDonald works and both have their strengths and weaknesses. Gallagher's offered his personal repertoire and unique insights making this an impressive creative effort. McDonald's was more of a survey, and to be honest if you buy Opening books by authors who do not really play the Opening in question, then why complain if there are errors and ommissions.  

I cannot think of one really good Opening book written by a non practitioner of the given opening. What you mostly get with books of this type is a survey with light, sometimes rehashed analysis and often useless notes tossed in.  Angry

It is by no accident that Books Like: Pirc Alert, Winning with The Dragon, Play The French, Play The Kings Indian and The Safest Sicilian, to name but a few, are so highly regarded. You guessed it, these were all authored by practitioners passionate about the subject matter.  

Last words: No Opening book is perfect as opening theory by its very nature is transient and always in a state of flux, but if there is a choice to be made choose an author that has walked the walk, chances are you will take away much more than reams of analysis which will probably be dated by the time you buy the book anyway.

Top  Smiley          

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

Dragonslayer

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #54 - 08/10/06 at 11:31:22
Post Tools
Just to clarify what I meant with the 2+2=3 analogy, then I will give it a rest.

I say:
Line X in the KG has been busted for White by a specific move (say on move 15, let's call this move B). This statement is verifiably true (in the same sens that 2+2=4 is true) since all moves from this position lead to an undisputable result (at least =+)
On the other hand, I claim that line Y (which diverges from line X at some earlier stage in the opening, say move 8, let's call this move A) of the KG is an interesting try for White. This statement is not verifiable since there may be a refutation later than move 8 of variation Y (move C). In the absence of evidence for such a refutation, the working thesis must be that variation Y is superior to variation X

Now my claim is this: Since both variation X, its refutation (move B) and variation Y (improving on variation X with move A) are widely known, or at least should be to the author who has done his homework, the author of any book on the KG should inform his reader on this state of affairs.

Other people have claimed that it is perfectly ok to write a book with annotated games in the KG (which I do not dispute even if the back cover blurb contradicts this) AND present variation X without its refutation (move B). Or indeed present the refutation move B and ignore the improvement (move A).

So there are four ways of presenting this line:

1) Variation X without either move A or B.
2) Variation X with the refutation, (move B).
3) Variation X with the improvement (move A)
4) Variation X with both the refutation (move B) and the improvement (move A)

These alternatives are NOT contingent. 1) and 3) paints a too optimistic picture (2+2=5  Wink ), while 2) is too pessimistic (2+2=3). IMHO only 4) is acceptable (given that both move A and B are widely known and even given in other books).

Now this would not be a problem if it was limited to a few variations (we all make mistakes), but MNs book is literally littered with 1), 2) and 3)s and hardly any 4)s. This does not constitute an overview or an introduction to the KG. It is a distortion of the facts.
Such a book can not be considered useful in any objective sense.

Of course there is also option 5) if the author actually discovers move C which refutes variation Y.

I hope this clarifies matters and let this be my last spew of venom  Wink

The reason I bought MNs book (which at first I had decided that I wouldn't) is that there are actually quite a lot of 5)s, contributing to the theory of the KG. But the book as a whole is not useful for learning the KG. Play with White: 1.e4 e5 2.f4 exf4 3.Bc4 Nc6 or 3.Nf3 g5 and see what I mean. According to MNs book you then have no useful move 4 and cannot even reach equality. Logically this means that the KG is =+ in MNs view. Surely the punter who forks out 15 quid for the book deserves to be told so before getting to page 75 and discover the awful truth.

MNb's example from Williams's book is very good. Other examples are legion. Very often authors neglect to realize that two different move-orders lead to the exact same position in two different places of their book. Disturbingly often the position is even evaluated differently, and why? Because the author recommends one line and then typically ends with += and discourages another, which predictably ends with only '='.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #53 - 08/09/06 at 01:45:14
Post Tools
My training as a teacher maths and physics perhaps has not been as rigorous as Dragonslayer's, but still the lack of logic in several opening books annoys me. A good example is Williams' highly praised book (and to a great extent rightfully so) on the Classical Dutch. On page 43 he writes: "This unclear position awaits practical testing. I believe that the chances are about equal." Imo a position cannot be unclear and contain about equal chances at the same time. But what's more remarkable: he gives two lines for Black. The first ends with "I prefer White's chances" and the other with "White is slightly better" (page 44). This indeed is logic from the kind 2 + 2 = 3 is as valid as 2 + 2 = 4. For the sake of clarity: I don't think Williams is dishonest. Still he is illogical.

GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Jonathan Tait
God Member

Reply #52 - 08/08/06 at 15:53:01
Post Tools
Dragonslayer wrote on 08/08/06 at 14:50:59:
On the back cover the book claims to be "A comprehensive guide to a highly popular opening".

yes, but as I've now learnt: the blurb on back covers are nothing to do with the authors

i.e. never judge a chess book by its cover Wink

blog inspired by Bronstein's book, but using my own games: http://200opengames.blogspot.co.uk/
IP Logged

OstapBender
God Member

There is no spoon.

Reply #51 - 08/08/06 at 15:28:10
Post Tools
Dragonslayer,

You are right.  It says "A comprehensive guide to a highly popular opening" right there in bold print on the top of the back cover - and this is definitely a poor description of the content of the book!  I don't know how I missed this when I made my statement that the book never claimed to be comprehensive in it's coverage, but somehow I did.  This was careless of me, and I apologize.

Although I do not at all follow your "Intelligent Design"/Creationism/2+2=3 arguments meant to support the statement "it is simply not true that the book (and I mean the whole book as one item) can be useful for some while useless for others" nor do I follow this particular statement.  I mean, how many chess books are useful/useless in terms of "the whole book as one item"?  We all read a book and choose the parts that are relevant to our particular needs.  A book that is essential to you might be completely usesless to me and vice versa.  I suppose it may well be my lack of rigorous physics/mathematics training that keeps me from seeing the light. Wink

And, by the way, anyone who has really delved into the matter AT ALL knows that the universe was created by the Flying Spaghetti Monster (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster).

But, as for the McDonald KG book let me end my (weak) contribution to this discussion with "You get to be right and I get to be left alone".  Roll Eyes

[Edit: Dragonslayer, sorry for being so facetious here - sometimes it's just too easy to get carried away.  You're right that the McDonald book is flawed and inaccurate, and my statements about the intended purpose of the book are entirely undermined by the back cover of the book itself!  Someday, I may learn to think before I speak (er, post).   (I still found the book informative in a general sense and I understand the King's Gambit better as a result of reading it, but let's leave that conjectural point aside.)]
« Last Edit: 08/08/06 at 19:08:57 by OstapBender »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo